As far as art goes, it has been full of wonder and creativity. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I am to be at a place where I am content and happy with my artwork to no end. I am even creating articles about artistic terms I have coined that better explains my exhibition work and what I plan to have as my artist statement and about me info on my website (which is still being updated and worked on and won't become public for view until I have bought the domain name. I am really focusing on buying a domain name that I am pleased with).
I have been working on some personal art but because of all the work I have been doing for school, it is hard to keep track of everything and put all of my artistic energy into anything personal right now. I just finished add structure to my two watercolor paintings with foamboard so they aren't floppy and falling to pieces. It was something my teacher had ask me to do because he does hope to put some of the class's paintings in a gallery space for display. I have four more paintings due within the next two months but I think I can start on them and get them done once I feel like this portion of my paintings is complete and I have the time to focus on them.
Speaking of exhibitions, I have been putting together this idea for my Professional Practices class exhibition at the end of April. We have about 32-34 students in the class and set up in this really small, cramped gallery. I feel that was poor-planning on where they placed us for such a huge class. I am working on an interactive coloring book as I like to call it. It is set up to where one camera reads the gestures of "selecting" the colors and options while another camera picks up on the movement of coloring digitally onto a traditional canvas where I will draw the lineart on top. This is going to involve a lot of coding with either Processing or PureData and I have been asking my New Media teacher ways of how to go about this while also researching how to work with the coding. I am thinking, starting next Monday that I join his class between 2-5pm but only on Mondays and just sort of work in the background on the computers. I don't have any classes that day and he's a really good guy and I know I am not a huge distraction even within class so I shouldn't pose as a threat to whatever he is trying to teaching. They are having their exhibition this week so I feel like the majority of all of the work they have done is under the bridge and they are working on another personal projects for class.
Here is an example I created a GIF of how I expect to present piece:
This goes along with my article explanation that I can summarize here and have memorized up until now:
Art is a social creature that craves social interaction with the viewer in order to create a handshake of ideals, otherwise, it is susceptible to being stalked. By stalked, I am referring to the idea of an artwork put on display within a gallery and presented just for the sake of observation, not interaction. While traditional painting and sculpture are nice aesthetically and present some conceptual meaning, it lacks an interactive relationship with the viewer that provides an experience much like getting to know a new friend over coffee at Starbucks.
In most cases, artwork presented in a gallery space that is meant for view only, cannot be touched or interacted with. And at times, not even a photograph is acceptable. This presents the work as a stranger with ideals of "the other" are labeled on top of the piece, possibly misunderstood and misjudged from its intended message or conceptual meaning. Social Art is artwork that involves the viewer within an experience that is shared and recorded with the artwork. It should be fun and inviting that allows the artwork to socialize with its new friend, the viewer. This can range from interactive installations, gaming, virtual gaming, animation, social robotics, performance art specifically flash mobs, and public artworks such as chalk art. It incorporates the idea of allowing the viewer to interact not with the artist but with the artwork and allowing the viewer to become a part of the work. The two socialize and create an experience that cannot be forgotten or misunderstood. They are not strangers to one another, they are friendly and accepting of the other that allows the artwork to feel just as alive and well as a human being.
A celebrity of art is any artwork that is so memorable it is transcends decades. We will always remember important figures like Leonardo da Vinci, Marilyn Monroe, and recently Leonard Nimoy. This figures are celebrities not just within their own time but amongst centuries old. To create art that is a celebrity within the art world allows the art to become more than just a memory that is passed down through legend and historical impact but also through lived experience that is timeless.
This is Social Art, art I hope to further a career in that involves my two passions of art and Sociology. I don't want to just create statements on social issues that survive and are fueled by media, but I want to create artwork that allows the mass public to be involved with the work and experience the same experience the artwork suggests. Specifically in this piece, I want the viewer to remember what it was like to be a child painting within the lines. Most artists who find a passion for art begin at an early age when artwork was fun and fueled the passion to create, such as I did. This is the beginning of this generation of Social Art. I want people to experience, young and old, what it was like to color inside the lines and deviate from the frameworks of society with their own creative passion. I will save their work and later allow them to declaim their work, putting the artwork that is saved on a refrigerator such as a parent would when they are proud of their child's art. I want them to take their art, to sign it as if introducing themselves to the piece, and to take pictures because, hey, it's their art. If they choose not to declaim their work, then I can keep them as a collection to display within my portfolio towards my concept. I am just the mother that birthed the concept into existence. When the work is finished, it has to fly on its own and socialize with the outside world on its own two feet.
I am really excited about this concept and this piece I am working on. I hope to continue working with it and in the future create more works like it. I am working on an article that explains this just as I did here but in a more specific detail. Most of this can be found on my website, link soon to come.
On other notes:
- I have converted my Facebook to being a place where I publicly present my art and hide everything personal. Anything personal will not be on display for public viewing but any of my artwork I wish to display can. I have also gotten rid of my artist page because pages do not give you the same press value as regular Facebooks provide. Employers will not look at your artist page, but they will get a feel of who you are from your Facebook.
- I finally got LinkedIn.
- I am using Instagram, my new twitter, and of course DA for my artwork.
- I have created a stamp to sign my work that I have started placing on some of my artworks on DA. I don't think I will put it on FanArt because the characters aren't essentially mine. Anything personal I will put it on. GIFS are harder so I may just in the description place it as an icon.
- I found a new way to color in Photoshop. I am using airbrushing techniques for a current piece.
- I am graduating at the end of Spring and look forward to moving out during the summer. I have plans, lots of them xD
- I have been on twitch a lot lately. It is a good way to meet new people and socialize and promote my art at the same time in the moment across the nation. I have already met people on the east and west coasts, in Arizona, and of course Canada. I am working on promoting my work in ways that also allows me to be social with the public.
- I hope to one day when I get the equipment such as a desk and desktop computer to start streaming my own gaming as well. I have created and been creating my own BRB and Welcome art for my own Twitch.
- I am loving everything I am learning from my Professional Practices' class. Although I don't like that a lot of the stuff in the class is mandatory like I have to apply to an exhibition outside of the campus. I know it is to learn how to but at the same time I don't currently have any other artwork to display for outside of the school. I am taking 4 classes and they require a lot of attention so what I can make for school I can handle but anything outside of that is a little bit more difficult and I don't have the time or the art space to do it in.
Well that's it for now! Later! <3

No comments:
Post a Comment